Statement of Faith
Statement of Faith
Article IV of the Seattle Christian School BYLAWS
- I believe that there is one God (Deut. 6:4; Mark 12:29-30), eternally existent (Psalm 90:2; Rev. 4:8), in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (Matt. 28:19; II Cor. 13:14), immutable and infinite in wisdom, holiness, power, justice, goodness and truth.
- I believe in the inerrancy of the Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. I believe that:
- God, who is Himself Truth and speaks Truth only, has inspired Holy Scripture in order thereby to reveal Himself to lost mankind through Jesus Christ as Creator and Lord, Redeemer and Judge. Holy Scripture is God’s witness to Himself.
- Holy Scripture, being God’s own Word, written by men prepared and superintended by His Spirit, is of infallible divine authority in all matters upon which it touches: it is to be believed, as God’s instruction, in all that it affirms; obeyed, as God’s command, in all that it requires; embraced, as God’s pledge, in all that it promises.
- The Holy Spirit, the divine author of the Holy Scriptures, both authenticates Scripture to us by His inward witness and opens our minds to understand its meaning.
- Being wholly and verbally God-given, Scripture is without error or fault in its teaching, no less in what it states about God’s acts in creation and the events of world history, and about its own literary origins under God, than in its witness to God’s saving grace in individual lives.
- The authority of Scripture is inescapably impaired if this total divine inerrancy is in any way limited or disregarded, or made relative to a view of truth contrary to the Bible’s own; and such lapse brings serious loss to the individual, and Seattle Christian School (Matt. 5:17-19; I Cor. 2:13; II Tim. 3:16-17; II Peter 1:20-21).
- I believe that God in the beginning created the heaven and the earth (Gen. 1:1; Acts 17:24; Col. 1:16; Heb. 11:3), and that He still upholds them by His providence (Heb. 1:3; Col. 1:17).
- I believe that God created man good and after His own image (Gen. 1:27, 31), that man of his own will sinned against his Creator (Gen. 3:1-7), that man thereby cast himself and his posterity into deepest sin (Gen. 3:16-19; Rom. 5:12) and that man can be saved from sin only by faith in Jesus Christ (Rom. 5:18; Acts 4:12).
- I believe in the deity of Jesus Christ (John 1:1; John 20:28), in His virgin birth (Matt. 1:23; Luke 1:26-33), in His sinless life
(II Cor. 5:21; Heb. 4:15), in His miracle-working power (Matt. 8:3, 16; John 11:43-44), in His vicarious and atoning death
(I Peter 2:24; I John 2:2), in His bodily resurrection (Luke 24:34; I Cor. 15:4-8), in His ascension to the right hand of the Father (Mark 16:19; Acts 1:9-11), and in His personal return in power and glory (Matt. 24:30; Acts 1:11). I believe that for me He was “made to be sin” and for my sins He suffered the judgment of divine justice, voluntarily shedding His precious blood and dying on Calvary’s cross, “the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God” (I Peter 3:18). I confess Him as my personal Savior and Lord.
- I believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by Whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life (I Cor. 6:11, 19-20; Gal. 5:16-26). I believe that God has called me “unto holiness,” to “walk not after the flesh but after the Spirit,” to live the victorious Christian life, yielded and separated unto God, in constant subjection to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and to be a living witness before others of His all-sufficient grace, power and peace (Rom. 6:11-13, 8:2,4,12,13; II Cor. 6:14-18; 12:9; Eph. 4:22-24; Col. 2:6; I Thess. 4:7; Heb. 12:14; I Peter 1:14-16; II Peter1:5-8; I John 1:6-9; 2:15-17).
I believe in the spiritual unity of believers in Christ (John 10:16; Eph. 4:4-6).
I believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost, they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation (John 5:28-29).
(Adopted by Seattle Christian School Board of Directors April 27, 1981.)